This is Parker, he had surgery at 11 years old. No lameness after the surgery, and was 14 at time of picture.
Lets look at the advantages of external fixator.
- Easy to apply with bone drill.
- Less tissue destruction to leg
- Less chance for infection compared to implanted metal devices
- Easy remove after 1 month (fixator needs to be applied for only 1 month)
- Easy to adjust after surgery (rarely needed)
- Less capitol expense for replacement hardware costs because of reusable fixation devices
- Less bone extoses which can lead to arthritis
- Allows easier visualization on joint knee cartilage by using a Stryker distractor
- Stronger than internal devices
DISADVANTAGES OF EXTERNAL FIXATOR
- CLIENT PERCEPTION SEEING EXTERNAL FIXATOR ON LEG
MORE ADVANTAGES OF EXTERNAL FIXATOR
- Less trauma to knee that preserves normal knee architecture which leads to faster healing
- Easy to apply technique without the expense of specialized veterinary skills. and equipment such as saws and hardware
- The technique is a simplified offshoot of TTA procedure, which is well documented in its success.
- Superior implant material that is applied during the procedure
FOLLOWING PRECAUTIONS ARE USED TO MAKE SURE THAT THE LAMENESS IS FROM THE KNEE
- MANDATORY TO DO HIP X-RAY
- MANDATORY TO HAVE DRAWER MOVEMENT OF THE KNEE BEFORE SURGERY
- LEG X-RAY TO LOOK FOR OTHER PATHOLOGY THAT MIMICS LAMENESS.
THE SURGICAL PROCEDURE IS FOR DOGS WITH CRUCIATE RUPTURE REPAIR.
THE SURGERY THAT CAN BE DONE FOR LESS THAN 1000.00