- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
This is Parker, he had surgery at 11 years old. No lameness after the surgery, and was 14 at time of picture.
Lets look at the advantages of external fixator.
- Easy to apply with bone drill.
- Less tissue destruction to leg
- Less chance for infection compared to implanted metal devices
- Easy remove after 1 month (fixator needs to be applied for only 1 month)
- Easy to adjust after surgery (rarely needed)
- Less capitol expense for replacement hardware costs because of reusable fixation devices
- Less bone extoses which can lead to arthritis
- Allows easier visualization on joint knee cartilage by using a Stryker distractor
- Stronger than internal devices
DISADVANTAGES OF EXTERNAL FIXATOR
- CLIENT PERCEPTION SEEING EXTERNAL FIXATOR ON LEG
MORE ADVANTAGES OF EXTERNAL FIXATOR
- Less trauma to knee that preserves normal knee architecture which leads to faster healing
- Easy to apply technique without the expense of specialized veterinary skills. and equipment such as saws and hardware
- The technique is a simplified offshoot of TTA procedure, which is well documented in its success.
- Superior implant material that is applied during the procedure
FOLLOWING PRECAUTIONS ARE USED TO MAKE SURE THAT THE LAMENESS IS FROM THE KNEE
- MANDATORY TO DO HIP X-RAY
- MANDATORY TO HAVE DRAWER MOVEMENT OF THE KNEE BEFORE SURGERY
- LEG X-RAY TO LOOK FOR OTHER PATHOLOGY THAT MIMICS LAMENESS.
THE SURGICAL PROCEDURE IS FOR DOGS WITH CRUCIATE RUPTURE REPAIR.
THE SURGERY THAT CAN BE DONE FOR LESS THAN 1000.00